PARIS -- Nothing came easily for Maria Sharapova in the French Open final. [url=https://www.supersonicsjerseys.com/640s-kevin-d

in Neues 15.01.2020 10:22
von jokergreen0220 | 2.155 Beiträge

PARIS -- Nothing came easily for Maria Sharapova in the French Open final. Kevin Durant Jersey . Serves hit by her surgically repaired shoulder often missed the mark, resulting in 12 double-faults. Shots that would be winners against most opponents were retrieved by Simona Halep and sent right back. Leads that usually hold up vanished in a blink. On a muggy afternoon, with the temperature in the high 70s (20s Celsius), points were lung-searing struggles. Sharapova was up to the task. In an entertaining and undulating championship match -- the first womens final at Roland Garros in 13 years to go three sets -- Sharapova showed that shes as tough as they come, particularly on the red clay that used to flummox her. She edged Halep 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-4 Saturday to win a second French Open title in three years. "This is the toughest Grand Slam final Ive ever played," Sharapova said. It is her fifth major trophy in all. Remarkably, Sharapova owns twice as many from Paris as the one each she won at Wimbledon in 2004, the U.S. Open in 2006, and the Australian Open in 2008. "If somebody had told me ... at some stage in my career, that Id have more Roland Garros titles than any other Grand Slam, Id probably go get drunk," Sharapova said with a chuckle. "Or tell them to get drunk. One or the other." The 3-hour, 2-minute tangle featured too many momentum swings to count, filled with lengthy baseline exchanges, and terrific defence and shotmaking by both women. Not bad for someone who once famously described herself as feeling like a "cow on ice" when it came to playing on clay, a slow, demanding surface that requires excellent footwork. Now Sharapova knows how to move on clay, and can stretch points when needed. Since the start of 2012, Sharapova is 54-4 with seven titles on clay. Shes also won 20 consecutive clay three-setters, including four in a row this week. "It says that shes very fit. It says that shes very determined," said Sven Groenefeld, Sharapovas coach. "And it says that she never gives up." Sharapova broke into a huge smile while hoisting the trophy overhead, then shaking it with both hands and scanning a stadium that, improbably, has become hers. This was her third final in a row in Paris: She won the 2012 title to complete a career Grand Slam, then lost last year to Serena Williams, who bowed out in the second round this time. Sharapova is 20-1 the last three years at Roland Garros -- which is nothing compared to Rafael Nadals 65-1 career French Open mark heading into Sundays final Sunday against Novak Djokovic, but certainly quite impressive. "Youre not just born being a natural clay-court player. OK, maybe if youre Nadal. But certainly not me," Sharapova said. "I didnt grow up on it; didnt play on it. I just took it upon myself to make myself better on it." Plus, Sharapova had an operation on her right shoulder, the one she uses to swing her racket, in October 2008. That joint troubled the Russian again in 2013, when she played one match from July to December. She now travels with a physiotherapist, Jerome Bianchi, and told him during the post-match ceremony, "Thank you for keeping me healthy." This was the ninth Grand Slam final for the No. 7-seeded Sharapova, and the first for Halep, a 22-year-old Romanian seeded fourth. Supported by a dozen folks in her guest box wearing red T-shirts saying "Allez Simona," and fans that chanted her first name, Halep acquitted herself well, showing off the scrambling baseline style that carried her to six straight-set wins until Saturday. "I will not forget this match," said Halep, who wiped away tears afterward. Each time it appeared Sharapova was ready to pull away, she was forced to do extra work. At 4-3 in the second set, Sharapova held two break points, but Halep saved both with gutsy groundstrokes. In the tiebreaker, Sharapova got within two points of victory at 5-3, but Halep took the next four to claim the set. Thats when Sharapova left for the locker room, taking an 8-minute break during which she changed out of her sweat-soaked outfit -- and let Halep stew for a bit. Sharapova went ahead 4-2, but Halep broke back to 4-all. It turned out that was her last stand, though. Sharapova wouldnt lose another point, gritting her teeth and shaking her fists after breaking at love for 5-4 with a backhand winner, then holding at love by forcing a backhand error from Halep on match point. When it ended, Sharapova dropped to her knees, caking her shins with clay, and folded her body forward, burying her face in her hands. "I had good tactics today. I opened the angles. Also, I was hitting the ball strong," Halep said. But Sharapova, Halep continued, "was moving really well." Cow on ice? More like Queen of Clay. Walt Hazzard Jersey . Louis, MO (SportsNetwork. Jack Sikma Jersey . With the Pirates in the thick of the race in the NL Central, the timing couldnt be better. Liriano struck out a season-high 11 in seven innings to win consecutive starts for the first time this season and Pittsburgh beat the San Francisco Giants 3-1 on Tuesday night. https://www.supersonicsjerseys.com/1130s-vladimir-radmanovic-jersey-supersonics.html .com) - Jeff Teague finished with a game-high 26 points and eight assists as the Atlanta Hawks held off the Utah Jazz, 98-92, on Friday.Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The following is a list of inactive players for tonights game. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS AT DETROIT LIONS, 1:00 PM (ET) Tampa Bay - None Detroit - None NEW YORK JETS AT MINNESOTA VIKINGS, 1:00 PM (ET) NY Jets - TE Jace Amaro, G Dakota Dozier, OL Wesley Johnson, WR Walter Powell, QB Matt Simms, CB Josh Thomas, DL Muhammad Wilkerson Minnesota - LB Anthony Barr, DE Scott Crichton, FB Zach Line, CB Jabari Price, LB Brandon Watts, OT JMarcus Webb, G David Yankey ST. LOUIS RAMS AT WASHINGTON REDSKINS, 1:00 PM (ET) St. Louis - TE Alex Bayer, DE Alex Carrington, TE Justice Cunningham, S Lamarcus Joyner, CB Marcus Roberson, G Brandon Washington, DE Ethan Westbrooks Washington - QB Kirk Cousins, DE Kedric Golston, WR DeSean Jackson, G Josh LeRibeus, S Brandon Meriweather, OT Tyler Polumbus, LB Keenan Robinson PITTSBURGH STEELERS AT CINCINNATI BENGALS, 1:00 PM (ET) Pittsburgh - WR/RB Dri Archer, WR Justin Brown, DE Clifton Geathers, OT Marcus Gilbert, LB James Harrison, QB Landry Jones, CB B.W. Webb Cincinnati - LB Vontaze Burfict, LB Chris Carter, OT Tanner Hawkinson, DE Margus Hunt, CB Chris Lewis-Harris, WR Dane Sanzenbacher, WR James Wright HOUSTON TEXANS AT JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, 1:00 PM (ET) Houston - OT Jeff Adams, DB Josh Aubrey, LB Jadeveon Clowney, TE Garrett Graham, DB Andre Hal, QB Thad Lewis, WR DeVier Posey Jacksonville - DE Andre Branch, LB A.J. Edds, LB Khairi Fortt, CB Jeremy Harris, RB Storm Johnson, OG Tyler Shatley, WR Tommy Streeter INDIANAPOLIS COLTS AT CLEVELAND BROWNS, 1:00 PM (ET) Indianapolis - CB Vontae Davis, NT Zach Kerr, G Lance Louis, OT Andrew McDonald, OT Xavier Nixon, LB Andy Studebaker, G Hugh Thornton Cleveland - TE Gary Barnidge, LB Karlos Dansby, DB Tashaun Gipson, DB Robert Nelson, OT Vinston Painter, WR Rodney Smith, RB Glenn Winston BALTIMORE RAVENS AT MIAMI DOLPHINS, 1:00 PM (ET) Baltimore - None Miami - CB Cortland Finnegan, LB Jonathan Freeny, G Nate Garner, RB LaMichael James, LB Chris McCain, CB Jamar Taylor, OT Billy Turner CAROLINA PANTHERS AT NEW ORLEANS SAINTS, 1:00 PM (ET) Carolina - CB James Dockery, OT David Foucault, S Robert Lester, LB Horace Miller, DT Micanor Regis, G Amini Silatolu, RB DeAngelo Williams New Orleans - None NEW YORK GIANTS AT TENNESSEE TITANS, 1:00 PM (ET) NY Giants - None Tennessee - None KANSAS CITY CHIEFS AT ARIZONA CARDINALS, 4:05 PM (ET) Kansas City - None Arizona - None BUFFALO BILLS AT DENVER BRONCOS, 4:05 PM (ET) Buffalo - None Denver - None SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS AT OAKLAND RAIDERS, 4:25 PM (ET) San Francisco - None Oakland - None SEATTLE SEAHAWKS AT PHILADELPHIA EAGLES, 4:25 PM (ET) Seattle - None Philadelphia - None NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS AT SAN DIEGO CHARGERS, 8:30 PM (ET) New England - None San Diego - None ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: GDwood2021
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2849 Themen und 3460 Beiträge.