WASHINGTON -- The NFL is prepared to meet with an Indian tribe pushing for the Washington Redskins to drop the teams nickname.

in Neues 28.10.2019 03:55
von jokergreen0220 | 2.155 Beiträge

WASHINGTON -- The NFL is prepared to meet with an Indian tribe pushing for the Washington Redskins to drop the teams nickname. Khalil Mack Youth Jersey . Just not this week. As league owners gathered Monday in the nations capital for their fall meetings, the Oneida Indian Nation held a symposium across town to promote their "Change the Mascot" campaign. Oneida representative Ray Halbritter said the NFL was invited to attend. Instead, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said, a meeting has been scheduled for next month -- and could happen sooner. "We respect that people have differing views," McCarthy said. "It is important that we listen to all perspectives." He said the Redskins name is not on the agenda for the owners meetings. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed to keep the name, and an AP-GfK poll conducted in April found that nearly 4 in 5 Americans dont think the team should change its name. Its a topic generating discussion lately, though. President Barack Obama said in an interview with The Associated Press last week that he would "think about changing" the teams name if he were the owner. Halbritter called that statement "nothing less than historic" and said the teams nickname is "a divisive epithet ... and an outdated sign of division and hate." Addressing the NFL, Halbritter said: "It is hypocritical to say youre Americas pastime but not represent the ideals of America." U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., said the league and team are "promoting a racial slur" and "this issue is not going away." For years, a group of American Indians has tried to block the team from having federal trademark protection, and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbias envoy to Congress, predicted Monday that effort eventually will succeed. "This name is going to go into the dustbin of history," she said. Lanny Davis, a lawyer who said hes been advising Snyder on the name issue for "at least several months," said in a telephone interview after the symposium: "The Washington Redskins support peoples feelings, but the overwhelming data is that Native Americans are not offended and only a small minority are." Davis also said the campaign is "showing selective attention" by focusing on the Redskins and not teams such as the NFLs Kansas City Chiefs, NHLs Chicago Blackhawks, or Major League Baseballs Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves. Earlier, Halbritter was asked about those other nicknames. "The name of Washingtons team is a dictionary-defined, offensive racial epithet. Those other names arent," Halbritter said. "But there is a broader discussion to be had about using mascots generally." Players for the Redskins have remained mostly silent on the topic, including star quarterback Robert Griffin III, who recently called the debate "something way above my understanding." Some players approached in the locker room Monday avoided addressing the subject altogether. "Its really tough. And I mean this sincerely: I get both sides of the argument," guard Chris Chester said. "I see how it can offend some people, but I feel like the context that this organization has, theres no negative connotation. You wouldnt name your team something you didnt have respect for. At least I wouldnt. I mean, I understand, too, that it offends some people, so I sympathize with both sides." Richard Dent Youth Jersey .Y. -- Mark Steenhuis scored four goals and added two assists to lead the Buffalo Bandits over the Toronto Rock 12-10 in National Lacrosse League action on Saturday. Akiem Hicks Bears Jersey . Siddikur, who led on all four days and took a four-stroke lead going into the final day, bogeyed four out of six holes starting at the sixth and continued a forgettable last round in which he returned a three-over 75 to finish with a 14-under 274. https://www.bearssportsgoods.com/Womens-Jim-Mcmahon-Inverted-Jersey/ . 1. CAVALIERS: At 19-20, theyre a mess. Watched the game Tuesday night vs. Phoenix and their defence was poor (107 points and 52 per cent for Suns). Where is the high level play from Kyrie Irving and LeBron James (13 turnovers!)? Kevin Love looks like a man thats wondering what he got himself into.Highland Heights, KY (SportsNetwork.com) - Juwan Staten finished with 12 points, eight rebounds and four assists as No. 16 West Virginia overcame a slow start to defeat Northern Kentucky, 67-42, on Sunday. Devin Williams also finished with 12 points and Jonathan Holton supplied 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks for the Mountaineers (8-1), who bounced back from a 74-73 loss to LSU on Thursday. Chad Jackson paced the Norse (3-5) with 12 points and nine rebounds, but turned the ball over six times and Jordan Jackson scored 10 off the bench in the loss. Neither team was able to locate the basket early on as it was just an 8-8 game with 8:31 to play in the first half. After Jared Bryants free throw, West Virginia finally started to pull away with eight straight points. Daxter Miles Jr. hit a 3-pointer and then closed the spurt with a layup for a 16-9 lead with 5:35 to play. The Norse, however, cut the deficit to three points heading into the break as a pair of Chad Jackson foul shots around Anthony Monacos treey made it a 20-17 game. Mike Ditka Jersey. The Mountaineers shot 7-for-23 (30.4 percent) from the floor over the first 20 minutes, while the Norse were 6-for-25 (24 percent). Holtons tip-in was the first of nine straight West Virginia points to start the second half and Statens free throw made it a 29-17 game with over three minutes into the stanza. Jordan Jacksons layup with 12:25 to play represented Northern Kentuckys second basket of the second half as the Norse trailed 33-21. Jevon Carters shot from beyond gave the Mountaineers a healthy 46-27 lead with 8:09 to play and West Virginia led by as much as 26 down the stretch. Game Notes It was the first regular-season meeting between the programs, although North Kentucky came away with a 77-74 exhibition win on Nov. 4, 2011 ... The Mountaineers shot 23-of-59 from the floor (39 percent), while the Norse went 13-for-49 (26.5 percent) ... West Virginia improved to 75-23 in non-conference games under head coach Bob Huggins. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: GDwood2021
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2849 Themen und 3460 Beiträge.